Treat that special someone to a delicious Valentine’s Day breakfast this year by learning how to make French toast that will knock their socks off! French toast is a simple, elegant dish that requires only a little planning and preparation. To create a romantic breakfast for two, begin with a basic and delicious French toast recipe:
Valentine’s Day French Toast
Start to finish: 30 minutes
1/2 loaf of day-old brioche, challah or other rich bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolk, milk, cream, vanilla extract and orange zest. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Lay a single layer of bread slices in any pan with a lip. Pour the batter over the bread, flipping the slices to coat them thoroughly. Let the bread soak in the batter while the skillet heats.
Using a nonstick skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add one or two slices of battered bread, and cook for about 3 minutes until one side is golden brown. Flip the bread and cook for another 3 minutes, until both sides are golden brown and the toast is cooked through. Place finished slices on a baking pan, and keep them warm in the oven while cooking the remaining slices.
Optionally you can use large heart-shaped cookie cutters to give your French toast a shape that will leave no doubt how you feel about your loved one.
Add Some Spice
A lover who knows how to make French toast with a twist is sure to impress. Consider spicing up that basic breakfast by adding one of these delicious French toast toppings:
- Sliced strawberries make a simple, elegant topping. With their vivid red color, strawberries capture the essence of this lovers’ holiday.
- Spoon mixed berries over French toast and top with whipped cream.
- For an easy way to add a sweet fruit flavor, spread jam or preserves over French toast slices.
- A sprinkle of powdered sugar looks pretty and adds a delicate sweetness.
- Apples and cinnamon add warm, comforting flavors. In a saucepan, mix some sliced, peeled apples with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Cook over medium heat for about five minutes, until the apples are tender. Spoon warm cinnamon apples over French toast.
- Warm maple butter is rich and satisfying. In a saucepan over low heat, melt together one-half cup unsalted butter and one-third cup maple syrup. Whisk to combine. Immediately drizzle the maple butter over French toast.
Serve With Style
Impress that special someone not only by learning how to make French toast any gourmet chef would love, but also by adding some extra touches that take romance to new heights. For breakfast in bed, dress up a tray with elegant plates, a cloth napkin and a long-stemmed red rose in a bud vase. Consider setting a romantic breakfast table complete with a lace tablecloth, candles and a bouquet of fresh flowers.
Offer an elegant side dish of sliced fruits to complement the French toast. Flavorful kiwi, strawberries and mango add color and a touch of sensuality. Serve coffee, tea, fruit juice or champagne in beautiful drink ware. For a final touch, turn on some favorite romantic music to set the mood for love.
Great Deals on Tools for the Job: